Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Olympics Movie Marathon: Miracle




Drumroll please- it's the last movie of our Olympics Movie Marathon!


This week I watched Miracle (2004), which chronicles the 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey Team victory over the Soviet Union during the Cold War.







"Great moments... are born from great opportunity. And that's what you have here, tonight, boys. That's what you've earned here tonight. One game. If we played 'em ten times, they might win nine. But not this game. Not tonight. Tonight, we skate with them. Tonight, we stay with them. And we shut them down because we can! Tonight, WE are the greatest hockey team in the world. You were born to be hockey players. Every one of you. And you were meant to be here tonight. This is your time. Their time is done. It's over. I'm sick and tired of hearing about what a great hockey team the Soviets have. Screw 'em. This is your time. Now go out there and take it." (Herb Brooks, Miracle)

This movie was not a new one for me; not only did it come out more than a decade ago (!!!), but I have seen it multiple times since then. I still think this is a classic, including Herb Brooks' checkered suit...


The plot is relatively simple: failed Olympian coaches U.S. Olympic hockey team to victory. Since I've just recently watched other Olympic movies, I'm reminded of Eddie the Eagle, which also tells a tale of a failed Olympian turned coach (however fictionalized). Instead, I believe the strengths of this movie lie in its historical relevance and quotable quotes. 

The Berlin Wall fell before I was born, so I did not live through the heyday of the Cold War. However, I can see relevance in today's society; Russia may not be the enemy they once were, but they are still not quite our allies. This movie is dripping with patriotic pride and will leave you chanting, "U.S.A! U.S.A!" 

I could cut and paste a long list of quotes (that you likely have heard before!) into this post, but will link them instead. 

Because this was a rewatch for me, I don't have a lot of new comments for it, other than it's a feel-good, tame movie about hockey that chronicles an important part of American and Olympic history. Since the Olympics are coming up in just a few days, there are tons of news stories out there about the preparedness (or, er, unpreparedness) of Rio for the Games and not many of the articles are positive. This movie reminded me of what I am most excited about- that indescribable feeling I get seeing an American athlete on the podium playing the national anthem. I hope that others in their respective countries get the same feelings during these Games and that they are not too marred with the inconsistencies that we have heard about so far.

For those watching with me on Friday, catch me on Twitter (@FiveRingFanatic), where I'll be live-tweeting the Opening Ceremonies and posting pictures from my Olympics watch party. Then, catch me here on the blog over the weekend for a full recap of the ceremonies as well as more photos from the party!





No comments:

Post a Comment