Saturday, August 6, 2016

Let the Games Begin!



If you didn't notice, the Rio 2016 Olympic Games officially opened last night. I've posted on my Facebook page and Twitter page if you'd like to see some highlights! Personal highlights for me were the Refugee Olympic Team, seedlings given to athletes to plant an Olympic forest, and the lighting of the cauldron. This may not be my favorite Opening Ceremony (especially after slogging through commercial breaks and waiting up past midnight for the torch to arrive), but it was entertaining nonetheless!

More importantly, some friends and I got together to celebrate the Games.

To get ready for the party, I painted my nails gold! (nail polish: Essie Good as Gold)

We got ready with some international beers! (from left: Fuller's London Pride [England], Hitachino Nest Beer, Saison du Japon [Japan], Lindemans Kriek [Belgium], Paulaner Original Munich Lager [Germany], Blanche de Chambly, Unibroue [Canada], Belhaven Scottish Ale [Scotland], Andre California Champagne [USA])

A sign welcoming our "athletes" to the Olympic Village! (written in English and Portuguese)
Then, we got started with some cocktails!

To create the Olympic rings, the rim of each glass was rubbed with lemon and then dipped in blue, black, red, yellow, and green-colored sugar. The cocktail was tequila, elderflower syrup, triple sec, filtered water.

The food spread! This picture is a bit dark, but we had: spring rolls (fresh from the fryer!), samosas, hummus, couscous, pita chips, and gold medal cookies...

To make these cookies I used Pioneer Woman (Ree Drummond)'s sugar cookie recipe, buttercream frosting for the outline, royal icing for the middle, and a gold food spray to paint them gold.

To complete the medals with ribbons, I used fruit roll-ups.

A toast to the Olympics! (crepe paper decoration: Spritz by Target)
My friends were kind enough to pose for a few photos. (Gold banner decoration: Spritz by Target, gold medals, torch, and togas borrowed but likely purchased from Amazon)






The cauldron is lit! (As seen above, the torch detaches to become a cauldron!)





Thanks for joining me and enjoy the Games!






No comments:

Post a Comment