Tuesday, May 10, 2016

The Olympic Pop Culture Roundup

For the discerning Olympics fan who loves the Olympics but often wonders, "what media can I be absorbing to achieve full fan potential?"; here is a list custom-built for you! This is by no means exhaustive but encompasses my favorite ways to engage with the Olympics while [patiently] awaiting the Games. Please enjoy and share anything I have missed!




Movies




Cool Runnings, Chariots of Fire, and Miracle are personal favorites!



The story of Eddie Edwards, the notoriously tenacious British underdog ski jumper who charmed the world at the 1988 Winter Olympics.


Jesse Owens' quest to become the greatest track and field athlete in history thrusts him onto the world stage of the 1936 Olympics, where he faces off against Adolf Hitler's vision of Aryan supremacy.



Mark and Dave Schultz, U.S. Olympic Wrestling champions, join Team Foxcatcher led by multimillionaire John E. du Pont as they train for the 1988 games in Seoul - but John's emotional self-destruction threatens to consume them all.

Videos











Social Media







Articles



Real Simple Olympian Features:


Amy Cozad (pictured above)


Most Olympic articles I have been reading have already been linked in past posts, so I will not duplicate them here. 


Books







There's far too many books to name...for any academic resources on the Olympics just send me a message as I have many compiled from my thesis!


Podcasts



I'm in sore need of new [decent] podcasts about the Olympics in general; suggestions are welcome! Or, maybe I should start my own...any takers?



No comments:

Post a Comment